Skip to main content

A Digital Sabbath

Ok hear me out, this might run completely counter to what I wrote in the post on blogging requiring discipline. But I can't help but feel a tad bit suffocated with all the digital and online interaction that we have to do (so thankful we have a participation break in this module - another one wants us to participate and evaluate 4 student-developed modules - yay!).

I read this article about a digital sabbath and found it quite interesting. https://hackernoon.com/i-tried-a-digital-sabbath-and-it-was-epic-f70c2e3e1ab5

Honestly, I've never gone a day without my phone in the last 2 years. While I might not be too keen on facebook and the like, I do keep my handphone close in the event of an emergency at work. With the amount of technology surrounding me - 2 mobile phones, 1 laptop, 1 surface go, 1 desktop - I'm beginning to think that my connection to digital technology is a bit overkill.

Perhaps there is some wisdom to decoupling from digital technology. I will think about how I would go about doing this in July though. Quite frankly, it is near impossible to do so in the next couple of weeks, but I'll keep it in mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1 of 2 - What should an effective Produsage Community look like?

For the first part of today's series of posts, I'd like to introduce to you a book that I've read written by Daniel Coyle (2018) called "The culture code". This week, we've been mostly reading about web 2.0 technologies that facilitate a user-centric environment where users are both the producers of knowledge and users of it (produsers). I however, have been attracted to the notion of community. For produsage to work, it is essential that a community in which collaboration and not self-aggrandizement is cultivated.  This lead me to the culture code's examination of key facets of successful groups. In one of the studies listed in the book, it noted that in a simple experiment where groups of business students and kindergartners (all groups were homogenous) were told to build the highest tower with twenty pieces of uncooked spaghetti, one yard of transparent tape, one yard of string and one standard-size marshmallow (to be put on top of the obelisk),...

Data analytics - My repository of useful knowledge

Hey all! I still have knowledge sharing withdrawal so here's another knowledge repository that I am slowly crafting on data analysis and the like. So here we go! 1. Why Big data? http://www.industriuscfo.com/7-benefits-using-big-data/ https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/11/06/five-benefits-of-big-data-analytics-and-how-companies-can-get-started/#2dfc29ef17e4 https://www.sas.com/en_sg/insights/analytics/big-data-analytics.html https://www.dataversity.net/many-benefits-big-data-company/ https://www.newgenapps.com/blog/importance-benefits-competitive-advantage-big-data/ Potential reading list for big data -  https://solutionsreview.com/data-management/top-25-best-big-data-books-on-amazon-you-should-read/ 2. Examples of Big data done right https://intellipaat.com/blog/7-big-data-examples-application-of-big-data-in-real-life/ https://builtin.com/big-data/big-data-examples-applications https://www.datapine.com/blog/big-data-examples-in-real-life/ 3. P...

Financial Management 101 Knowledge Base.

Hey guys! This page just serves to be a compilation of websites and articles that I have found to be useful over the last few months for leveling up my understanding of personal financial management. I did up a concept map as appended below to help organize what I think is one way to approach learning about the subject. Do note that the portioning of income has many schools of thought. So without further ado, a list of the websites, organized according to that framework. LEARNING HOW TO INCREASE ASSETS Learn what is an financial asset. (To the layman, services and products that do not depreciate or rather appreciate in value over time). https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/financialasset.asp Managing your existing income. How to portion out and budget your income: Elizabeth Warren's 50 30 20 rule. https://www.thebalance.com/the-50-30-20-rule-of-thumb-453922 Barefoot Investor's Buckets portioning. https://sustainable-living.blog/2019/02/24/barefoot-budgeting-understanding-bucket...