Skip to main content

Building a Shared Knowledge Base for your Organization!

On that train of thought - talking about knowledge sharing here - I've been trying to compile a list of articles to do with developing a community knowledge base. Now in my previous post, I was talking about knowledge sharing in an organization that does not have the infrastructure for a thriving internet community. This post is really to share two articles I found regarding the creation of a shared knowledge base. The first, I found on a blog called quandora that talks about the 5 benefits of knowledge sharing within an organization. 

Here is the website: https://www.quandora.com/5-benefits-knowledge-sharing-organization/

As a summary, the five benefits are:
  1. Re-use the organization's best problem-solving experiences. 
  2. Improve decision-making.
  3. Increase growth and innovation.
  4. Improve customer service.
  5. Reduce the loss of tacit knowledge.
Now the second article is more detailed, pertaining to a specific case - building self-service for customer support. 


As a summary, the website splits the discussion into the 'what', 'why' and 'how' of a knowledge base. 

Just as a quick reference for 'how' though:
  1. Decide on the core elements of the knowledge base.
  2. Choose the content.
  3. Decide on the structure of the articles
  4. Write the articles
  5. Add visuals
  6. Publish it
  7. Analyze and improve the articles.
Now I just need to figure out how to translate these industry practices into something that I could use in my organization. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1 of 2 - What should an effective Produsage Community look like?

For the first part of today's series of posts, I'd like to introduce to you a book that I've read written by Daniel Coyle (2018) called "The culture code". This week, we've been mostly reading about web 2.0 technologies that facilitate a user-centric environment where users are both the producers of knowledge and users of it (produsers). I however, have been attracted to the notion of community. For produsage to work, it is essential that a community in which collaboration and not self-aggrandizement is cultivated.  This lead me to the culture code's examination of key facets of successful groups. In one of the studies listed in the book, it noted that in a simple experiment where groups of business students and kindergartners (all groups were homogenous) were told to build the highest tower with twenty pieces of uncooked spaghetti, one yard of transparent tape, one yard of string and one standard-size marshmallow (to be put on top of the obelisk),...

Data analytics - My repository of useful knowledge

Hey all! I still have knowledge sharing withdrawal so here's another knowledge repository that I am slowly crafting on data analysis and the like. So here we go! 1. Why Big data? http://www.industriuscfo.com/7-benefits-using-big-data/ https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/11/06/five-benefits-of-big-data-analytics-and-how-companies-can-get-started/#2dfc29ef17e4 https://www.sas.com/en_sg/insights/analytics/big-data-analytics.html https://www.dataversity.net/many-benefits-big-data-company/ https://www.newgenapps.com/blog/importance-benefits-competitive-advantage-big-data/ Potential reading list for big data -  https://solutionsreview.com/data-management/top-25-best-big-data-books-on-amazon-you-should-read/ 2. Examples of Big data done right https://intellipaat.com/blog/7-big-data-examples-application-of-big-data-in-real-life/ https://builtin.com/big-data/big-data-examples-applications https://www.datapine.com/blog/big-data-examples-in-real-life/ 3. P...

Financial Management 101 Knowledge Base.

Hey guys! This page just serves to be a compilation of websites and articles that I have found to be useful over the last few months for leveling up my understanding of personal financial management. I did up a concept map as appended below to help organize what I think is one way to approach learning about the subject. Do note that the portioning of income has many schools of thought. So without further ado, a list of the websites, organized according to that framework. LEARNING HOW TO INCREASE ASSETS Learn what is an financial asset. (To the layman, services and products that do not depreciate or rather appreciate in value over time). https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/financialasset.asp Managing your existing income. How to portion out and budget your income: Elizabeth Warren's 50 30 20 rule. https://www.thebalance.com/the-50-30-20-rule-of-thumb-453922 Barefoot Investor's Buckets portioning. https://sustainable-living.blog/2019/02/24/barefoot-budgeting-understanding-bucket...