Skip to main content

I'm back - Part 2 of 2

Building on what I mentioned in the last post on developing a community of practice for investment. I can think of just a few ideas, based on my reading of the subject. Essentially, I would argue that the community requires at least three main elements.

Firstly, a common agreement or set of guidelines that dictate expectations on investment advice shared in the community can help to make clear two things - the possibility of success or profit as a result of said investment (namely that no investment is comes without risk) and, the expectation of adherence of advice between investors (namely, only you decide what you invest in - do not wildly trust others). 

Secondly, a method of arbitration and moderation of disputes and information posted in the community. I would imagine that this is necessary to ensure that (1) fake news is not posted in the community that could harm it and, (2) to help ascertain veracity in disputes between investors/ members of the community. The main issue of course pertains largely to deciding who gets to become this moderator - I would imagine that it is a mixture of investment proficiency, experience and moral character. 

Finally, there should be a mechanism for the community to detect, blacklist and report potential scammers. I would imagine that this mechanism would be made clear in the original guidelines given to each member. The actual mechanism for reporting scammers for legal recourse might be impossible with the widespread usage of VPNs, but blacklisting at the very least - including deleting the offender's account might still be possible. At the very least, that would increase the opportunity cost for the scammer to persist in his malfeasance. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1 of 2 - What should an effective Produsage Community look like?

For the first part of today's series of posts, I'd like to introduce to you a book that I've read written by Daniel Coyle (2018) called "The culture code". This week, we've been mostly reading about web 2.0 technologies that facilitate a user-centric environment where users are both the producers of knowledge and users of it (produsers). I however, have been attracted to the notion of community. For produsage to work, it is essential that a community in which collaboration and not self-aggrandizement is cultivated.  This lead me to the culture code's examination of key facets of successful groups. In one of the studies listed in the book, it noted that in a simple experiment where groups of business students and kindergartners (all groups were homogenous) were told to build the highest tower with twenty pieces of uncooked spaghetti, one yard of transparent tape, one yard of string and one standard-size marshmallow (to be put on top of the obelisk),...

Data analytics - My repository of useful knowledge

Hey all! I still have knowledge sharing withdrawal so here's another knowledge repository that I am slowly crafting on data analysis and the like. So here we go! 1. Why Big data? http://www.industriuscfo.com/7-benefits-using-big-data/ https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/11/06/five-benefits-of-big-data-analytics-and-how-companies-can-get-started/#2dfc29ef17e4 https://www.sas.com/en_sg/insights/analytics/big-data-analytics.html https://www.dataversity.net/many-benefits-big-data-company/ https://www.newgenapps.com/blog/importance-benefits-competitive-advantage-big-data/ Potential reading list for big data -  https://solutionsreview.com/data-management/top-25-best-big-data-books-on-amazon-you-should-read/ 2. Examples of Big data done right https://intellipaat.com/blog/7-big-data-examples-application-of-big-data-in-real-life/ https://builtin.com/big-data/big-data-examples-applications https://www.datapine.com/blog/big-data-examples-in-real-life/ 3. P...

Financial Management 101 Knowledge Base.

Hey guys! This page just serves to be a compilation of websites and articles that I have found to be useful over the last few months for leveling up my understanding of personal financial management. I did up a concept map as appended below to help organize what I think is one way to approach learning about the subject. Do note that the portioning of income has many schools of thought. So without further ado, a list of the websites, organized according to that framework. LEARNING HOW TO INCREASE ASSETS Learn what is an financial asset. (To the layman, services and products that do not depreciate or rather appreciate in value over time). https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/financialasset.asp Managing your existing income. How to portion out and budget your income: Elizabeth Warren's 50 30 20 rule. https://www.thebalance.com/the-50-30-20-rule-of-thumb-453922 Barefoot Investor's Buckets portioning. https://sustainable-living.blog/2019/02/24/barefoot-budgeting-understanding-bucket...