Skip to main content

Week 5 - I'm back!!! Finally hahha - Part 1 of 2

Hi guys! I'm back after quite a long hiatus. Been avoiding the internet for a while. Kind of overwhelmed by all the communication - I'm a bit of a hermit you see. Anyway, in the past few weeks I have been trying to learn and get into investing. It is a really tough topic to get into, especially if you are going into securities and derivatives. 

Having said that, I've been wondering how it would be possible to develop a learning community or rather a community of practice with regard to investments. I would imagine that it would be quite difficult on the following grounds. Firstly, there is no such thing as a sure-fire investment - all investments come with an innate risk, no matter how small. Benjamin Graham, one of the invest gurus of the 20th century argued that investment is less about learning how to grow money, than learning how to keep it. Consequently, with risk tolerance differing from person to person, and the fact that any investment has the chance of going sour, I would imagine that individuals could feel cheated or slighted if they follow the advice of a member of a community and made a loss. 

Building on this, is the idea of tangible loss. In investment, it's not like other communities of practice where you might be working towards something intangible, or a product that if undeveloped would not accrue a loss for the community and individual members. Rather, in this scenario, a bad buy could result, especially if leveraged with margin accounts, in the wiping of an individual's life savings. In turn, common investment etiquette would argue that individuals should not ask or provide opinions on their investments per se. 

Now these two issues alone represent quite a challenge to set up an investment CoP. Stay tuned for my next post where I look over some possible rules to implement to stave these challenges off. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1 of 2 - What should an effective Produsage Community look like?

For the first part of today's series of posts, I'd like to introduce to you a book that I've read written by Daniel Coyle (2018) called "The culture code". This week, we've been mostly reading about web 2.0 technologies that facilitate a user-centric environment where users are both the producers of knowledge and users of it (produsers). I however, have been attracted to the notion of community. For produsage to work, it is essential that a community in which collaboration and not self-aggrandizement is cultivated.  This lead me to the culture code's examination of key facets of successful groups. In one of the studies listed in the book, it noted that in a simple experiment where groups of business students and kindergartners (all groups were homogenous) were told to build the highest tower with twenty pieces of uncooked spaghetti, one yard of transparent tape, one yard of string and one standard-size marshmallow (to be put on top of the obelisk),...

Data analytics - My repository of useful knowledge

Hey all! I still have knowledge sharing withdrawal so here's another knowledge repository that I am slowly crafting on data analysis and the like. So here we go! 1. Why Big data? http://www.industriuscfo.com/7-benefits-using-big-data/ https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/11/06/five-benefits-of-big-data-analytics-and-how-companies-can-get-started/#2dfc29ef17e4 https://www.sas.com/en_sg/insights/analytics/big-data-analytics.html https://www.dataversity.net/many-benefits-big-data-company/ https://www.newgenapps.com/blog/importance-benefits-competitive-advantage-big-data/ Potential reading list for big data -  https://solutionsreview.com/data-management/top-25-best-big-data-books-on-amazon-you-should-read/ 2. Examples of Big data done right https://intellipaat.com/blog/7-big-data-examples-application-of-big-data-in-real-life/ https://builtin.com/big-data/big-data-examples-applications https://www.datapine.com/blog/big-data-examples-in-real-life/ 3. P...

Financial Management 101 Knowledge Base.

Hey guys! This page just serves to be a compilation of websites and articles that I have found to be useful over the last few months for leveling up my understanding of personal financial management. I did up a concept map as appended below to help organize what I think is one way to approach learning about the subject. Do note that the portioning of income has many schools of thought. So without further ado, a list of the websites, organized according to that framework. LEARNING HOW TO INCREASE ASSETS Learn what is an financial asset. (To the layman, services and products that do not depreciate or rather appreciate in value over time). https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/financialasset.asp Managing your existing income. How to portion out and budget your income: Elizabeth Warren's 50 30 20 rule. https://www.thebalance.com/the-50-30-20-rule-of-thumb-453922 Barefoot Investor's Buckets portioning. https://sustainable-living.blog/2019/02/24/barefoot-budgeting-understanding-bucket...